Designing From a Template

This week our class’s design assignment was due. In some ways, this was an page that should build on our previous preliminary, typography, and image assignments. I certainly employed many of these skills in my design assignment. Manipulating images so my work would be more cohesive. I made several images the same size and resolution to add consistency to my design. Likewise, I used a serif font, Libre Baskerville, to affect an older, historic feel.

What was completely new to me, was adapting a complex, responsive layout to my own needs. This is not a simple copy and paste job. It was somewhat simple to sub in my historical brewing content, but it was much more difficult to add sections and content not already included. Even navigating where the relevant css could be found was difficult as there were seven different css files included with the free layout from HTML5 UP. With the jquery and javascript littering my page, it felt like moving from tee ball to the major leagues. Despite the complexity, I now feel much more comfortable with some of the building html/css blocks- anchor links within a page, padding/margins/alignment, and css fonts.

I also learned several new techniques in order to learn how to effectively deploy my layout. Several image features were actually from a font called font awesome. It took me awhile to figure out why there were no icons in the images folder, but this technique will be very useful for my future work. I also learned about css gradients so that I could change the color of the layout to match my header image. I didn’t expect to learn these new techniques this week, but by reading a professional developer’s code I had to understand some of the state of the art in contemporary web design. I have no doubt this will improve my historic web pages.

My comment on Mason’s blog.

 

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *